Mirror Counselling Service Whakaata Tohu Tohu provides Counselling support for children and young people aged 3-19 years. We are a child centred Service who offers counselling in a warm, friendly, safe, whānau inclusive environment.
Mirror Counselling Service supports children and young people experiencing the effects of:
- Emotional, behavioural or mental health concerns
- Personal, relational and whanau challenges
- Trauma, abuse, and violence
To Access Mirror Counselling, please contact your GP, School Guidance Counsellor or any other professional you are working with.
For general enquiries, please contact us.
Mirror Counselling Service Offers
- Counselling support for presentations within the mild to moderate range and living in our service catchment area.
- Our counselling Service is free, we also provide a Fee for Service option where appropriate.
- Child centered, whānau friendly
- Individual and/or whanau interventions.
- A range of therapeutic interventions
- Educational and therapeutic groups as needed.
- Collaborative work alongside other support networks.
- Referral and support to access other services when necessary.
- Education and training for other community groups and agencies.
Primary Care Team
Whakaata Tohu Tohu/Mirror Counselling Primary Care Team is committed to providing counselling services to children and their whānau/caregivers who are referred through a Gateway Assessment in Otago & Southland. As we are a child and family focused team, the welfare, interests and values of the child, young person and their whānau/caregivers are paramount.
We offer a confidential service, in a safe environment with trained psychotherapists/counsellors.
What is counselling for?
Counselling may be required for a wide range of reasons including:
- emotional, behavioural or mental health issues
- drug and alcohol use
- family mental health and addiction issues that impact on the child
- personal, relationship and family challenges, trauma, abuse and violence
The main focus of counselling is to help:
- children/young people feel more secure
- children/young people develop resilience and thrive
- improve parent/caregiver and child relationship
- supporting parents/caregivers to understand and manage their children’s behaviour and underlying issues/needs.
- parents/caregivers develop positive approaches to parenting
What we offer:
- individual child centered counselling
- family inclusive practice, focusing on parent/caregiver child interactions and attachment
- provide and/or support a referral to educational and therapeutic groups as required
- link, refer and support primary caregivers or family to services to address their own needs as required
Contact our Primary Care team today: